International Projects - Middle East & Africa
- email the firm
Halim’s work is mainly international, with projects in Africa, the Middle East and Europe. His practice focuses essentially on a broad range of corporate-related matters, project finance, commercial as well as international litigation and arbitration. He also sits as an arbitrator. Halim joined Newton and Partners from another leading law firm and has previously worked for the UN as well as various law firms in the US and the Middle East. He is fluent in French, Arabic, English and Portuguese.
REPRESENTATIVE LEGAL MATTERS
- Advised a NY-publicly listed leading oil service company with regards to its establishment in the Kurdistan Region and its registration with the Ministry of Natural Resources.
- Advised a leading US security company on the acquisition and importation of armored vehicles to the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- Advised a leading regional group on the sale of its water plant facilities to Nestlé S.A.
- Represented more than fifty companiees in dispute resolution and money recovery cases in Iraq, Qatar and KSA for a total amount surpassing four hundred million US$.
- Advised a leading NY-publicly listed engineering consultancy firm with regards to execution of a fifty-million dollar contract signed with the Governorate of Baghdad.
- Advised a UAE private equity firm about its investments in two power plants in the Governorate of Basra in Iraq.
- Advised a Swiss-publicly listed company with regards to its distribution agreements in Iraq as well as the Kurdistan Region.
- Advising Tameen on various M&A transactions and corporate matters, including the establishment of cross-border joint ventures.
- Advised Cargill on tendering and anti-trust regulations in federal Iraq and the Kurdistan Region.
- Advising Carrefour on daily legal matters related to operations and expansions in
- Advised several mining companies in relation to political risk, validity of title and related issues in several African jurisdictions.
- Advising Philip Morris on regulatory, commercial and political matters in Iraq and the Kurdistan Region.
- Advising the Chinese government on three transactions in South Sudan with regards to the funding and operations of the New Airport in Juba.
- Advising the World Bank on investment and finance related matters in South Sudan
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
- Hangzhou International Arbitration Court – Arbitrator
- New York
- Columbia School of International and Public Affairs, M.I.A, International Finance and Economic Policy
- Columbia Law School, Visiting Scholar
- Duke University School of Law, LL.M
- Filiere Francophone de Droit - Université Paris II, Pantheon-Assas, LL.M. in Litigation and International Arbitration
- Université Saint Joseph School of Law, LL.B., cum laude